Moving is an exciting and stressful time for any person or family. It can also be a huge undertaking for companies that need to move their office furniture, equipment, files and other items from one location to another.
Make sure your stress level stays low by using this handy pre-move checklist while you’re preparing for the big day!
With helpful tips on organising belongings, hiring professional movers, packing efficiently, and more – this guide has everything needed to ensure your move goes as seamless as possible.
1. Before You Start Packing: Ensure you have all the necessary supplies to get your packing job done, such as boxes, tape, labels and markers. It’s also a good idea to take measurements of doorways and staircases so that furniture can be moved easily on the day of your move.
2. Sort Your Belongings: Create a sorting system for your belongings by labeling boxes according to where their contents need to go in the new house. This will make it easier on moving day and reduce the amount of time spent unpacking.
3. Organise Your Documents: Ensure you have all important documents such as bank statements, tax records and medical forms in one place. It’s also advisable to store these securely in a fireproof safe or with a trusted family member while you’re moving.
3. Pack a suitcase with everything you’ll need for the first few days in your new home: When packing for the move, make sure to pack a separate suitcase or bag with everything you’ll need for the first few days in your new home. Include items such as a change of clothes, toiletries, medication and important documents. This way, you won’t have to go rummaging through boxes when you arrive at your new home
4. Hire Professional Movers: Research local movers who can provide you with the services you need on your move day. Ask for references and check reviews to make sure you’re getting quality service.
5. Pack Strategically: Start packing the items that you don’t use often first, such as seasonal clothing and decorations. Then work your way up to items that are used more regularly, such as dishes or office supplies.
6. Label Your Boxes: Create a labeling system that you can follow when packing boxes so that you know which ones should be loaded onto the truck first. This will help save time on moving day and make it easier to find items in your new home.
7. Make Necessary Arrangements: If you’re having trouble making arrangements for your move, such as finding a place to stay while you get settled in, don’t hesitate to contact friends or family members who can help.
8. Notify your bank, insurance company, employer, and other important contacts of your move: Another important part of the pre-move checklist is notifying your bank, insurance company, employer, and other important contacts of your move. This will help ensure that you don’t miss any important documents or payments during the transition. Additionally, make sure to update all accounts with your new address so that bills, statements, and other important mailings are sent to the correct location.
9. Create a floor plan of your new home and figure out where everything will go: Creating a floor plan of your new home can help ensure that everything is where it needs to be when you move in. Consider mapping out how furniture and other items will fit into the space and determine the best places for them. This will save time on moving day, as well as make the unpacking process much easier.
10. Plan out your moving route to avoid traffic and congestion: Planning ahead can help make your move go smoother. Before you hit the road, take some time to research potential routes and traffic patterns in order to avoid any congestion or delays. Additionally, plan for rest stops along the way so that everyone has a chance to stretch their legs and get some fresh air before
11. Have cash on hand for unexpected expenses:Having cash on hand during a move can be essential in case of unexpected expenses. Make sure to have extra money available in case you decide to hire additional movers, pick up supplies or need an emergency meal. Additionally, it’s good practice to keep some cash with you at all times,
Following this pre-move checklist will help ensure that your move is smooth and stress-free! So take the time now to make sure everything is organised before moving day arrives. Good luck!